Frequently asked questions

You may have some questions, we understand. Let us know if we
missed anything. You can find ways to get in touch on our Contact page.

  • Do I Need a TV Licence?

    Whether you watch or record television programmes on TV or online, you’ll need a TV license. If you only use your TV for streaming and gaming, you will not require a TV license.

    When you have a tenancy agreement for the whole house, which is the case for most BRIC Living properties, you’ll one require one license for the property.

    Remember, you can get a refund over the summer months if you leave the property early.

  • Do Students Pay Council Tax?

    If everyone in your property is a full-time student, you won’t be required to pay any council tax.

    In order to qualify as a full-time student, you need to be at a course lasting at least one year and be involved in a minimum of 21 hours of study per week.

    BRIC Living Student tenants don’t need to worry about this as we deal with council tax for you, simply provide your student ID number and we will take care of the rest.

    However, if one non-student occupies the property only a quarter of the exemption applies. If more than one non-student lives on the premises, no exemptions are applicable.

  • Parking

    If you wish to park in the street but no space is available outside your home, you’ll need a parking permit from the city council.

  • How do I Report a Maintenance Problem?

    If you find a maintenance problem in one of BRIC Living’s student properties, you should contact us via email at

    How quickly do maintenance problems get repaired?

    At BRIC Living, we have our own in-house maintenance team. Because of this, we’re able to deal with any issues quickly and efficiently. Maintenance is assessed on a case by case basis with urgent matters taking top priority. We aim to have all issues assessed if not completed within 72 hours.

    If you have an emergency issue, you should either:

    • Contact a member of the BRIC Living team by phone 0151 351 4333 or email
    • If the issue is outside of office hours, contact the emergency telephone number 07376 056542
  • I have lost my keys?

    If you happen to lose your keys, BRIC Living can replace them during office hours. However, you will incur a charge of £30.

  • Internet

    This is to be paid for and set up by yourselves using Virgin and must be installed in the internet cupboard. Once this has been done, we will provide you with a refund for the year (capped at £396).

  • Bins

    Your bins are due to be collected fortnightly in alternating weeks, one for your home waste and one for your recycling/garden waste. Your home waste is to go in your purple bin, your recycling in the blue bin/bag and your garden waste in the green bin. Please see specified info from Liverpool City Council below:

    What goes in my bins?

    Blue bin or bag recycling:

    Place all items loose in the bin - do not put them inside plastic bags:


    • Glass (leave lids on glass jars and bottles)
    • Cans (do not crush)
    • Paper, magazines, newspapers, junk mail, catalogues, phone directories and wrapping paper (non-plastic/metallic)
    • Envelopes (including plastic windows)
    • Cardboard food boxes and egg cartons (flattened)
    • Cereal, cardboard packages (remove plastic padding) and food boxes
    • Toilet or kitchen roll inner cardboard
    • Plastic drinks bottles (keep lids on, do not flatten)
    • Plastic shampoo and cleaning bottles


    We will not empty bins or recycling bags which contain the following:


    • Black bag waste
    • Plastic bags, cling film or plastic padding
    • Metal objects, shredded paper or polystyrene
    • Juice cartons (Tetrapak)
    • Food or liquids
    • Yoghurt pots, plastic tubs, food trays or foil containers
    • Textiles, clothes and shoes (take clothes and bric-a-brac to your local charity shop or recycling bank).
    • Paint tins (donate leftover paint to your local community repaint scheme)
    • Electrical items (take these to your nearest recycling centre or arrange a Bulky Bob collection)
    • Syringes
    • Wood


    Green bin or (garden waste):

    Place all items loose in the bin - do not put them inside plastic bags:


    • Grass cuttings, hedge clippings, dead plants and weeds.
    • Cut flower and shrub pruning’s (woody waste).
    • Bark, leaves and small twigs.
    • Branches no larger than 7.5cm or 3 inches in diameter.


    We will not empty bins or recycling bags which contain the following:


    • Stone, concrete, timber or builder’s waste.
    • Glass, plastic, metal, paper or cardboard.
    • Plant pots, soil or turf.
    • Household rubbish and food waste (food such as vegetable peelings can make good compost).


    Purple bin (household waste):

    • Household waste and items that can't be recycled.
    • Food waste , including pet food.


    We will not empty bins or recycling bags which contain the following:



    What time should I put my bin or bag out?

    All bins and bags must be put out before 6.30am on your collection day.


    Where to leave your bin

    Bins must be on the kerbside with handles facing towards the road. If you live in a terraced house, please place your bins in the nearest end of the passage or alley.


    Where to leave your bag

    All recycling bags must be placed on the pavement by the front door.


    Bank Holiday collections

    We collect waste and recycling as normal on Bank Holidays. Please present your bins, bags or boxes on your regular collection day.



    • Make sure all rubbish or recycling is placed inside the bin and make sure the lid is closed.
    • Check what can go in each bin - we won't collect bins if they are too heavy or contain incorrect materials.
    • If we've placed a sticker on your bin, it will be collected on your next scheduled collection providing you have removed the incorrect materials.
  • P-01


Student Living Tips


As everyone has a different idea of what cleaning is, a good way to tackle this is to set up a rota once you move in. This is a good way to determine who cleans what and when.

Setting up a kitty for household products, such as toilet roll and washing up liquid, can also help to resolve any issues over who’s turn it is to buy certain items.


House Guests

At BRIC Living we understand that tenants will have the occasional house guest.

While we have no issue with this, you must inform your housemates first. This will help to prevent any awkward ‘run-ins’.


Coping with Noisy Neighbours

While you can pick the perfect property and your housemates, picking your neighbours is out of your hands.

If you happen to get stuck with noisy neighbours, there are several steps you can take to address the issue. These are:

  • Talk to them about the noise in the first instance. They may not be aware of the noise themselves, and bringing it to their attention could be enough to make it stop
  • If speaking to them doesn’t help, keep a diary and log the types of noise created, alongside the dates and times
  • If this doesn’t work, there’s one final stage. This is to contact the Environmental health – Noise complaint team at Liverpool City Council here Noise complaints – Liverpool City Council.
  • If you believe the noise relates to antisocial behaviour, you should contact Merseyside Police on 101

This of course works both ways, we expect you to be courteous and considerate to your neighbours in terms of the noise generated by yourself and your housemates.


Keeping your student property secure

Because students own more expensive consumer goods per head that the rest of the population, it makes student homes more attractive.

It’s highly important to lock your doors and windows when leaving your Property. BRIC Living’s student accommodation also have individual locks on doors to ensure additional room safety.

There are several steps you can take to ensure your student property is secure. These include:

  • Keeping the front and back doors locked at all times, even if you’re at home
  • Leave lights on timers to make it look like you’re home, even if you’re not
  • Keep high-value products out of view, especially at street level
  • Make sure you have contents insurance

Should you find yourself a victim of a crime, put your own personal safety first. Do not enter the property, instead call the Police on 999 or 101 for non-emergencies.

Dropping out

Sometimes, individuals may wish to move out of their student property during their tenancy with BRIC Living for numerous reasons.

If this happens, finding a replacement tenant falls on the individual leaving. If there isn’t someone in place to take the room immediately, we advise students to advertise themselves using websites such as the University sites, Rightmove and Sparerooms. BRIC Living will also try to help by re-advertising the room.

Please remember that all tenancy agreements are legally binding contracts. If you have any questions about our ASTs (assured shorthold tenancies) please contact us, and we’ll be happy to help.